Crystal Fox Talks Integrating Faith and Career

Actress, singer Crystal Fox is definitely a woman of faith. Not because she plays the devout Christian, Hanna Young, in Tyler Perry’s “The Have and Have Nots” but because when you hear her speak, it’s evident that she’s humbled and thankful for all of God’s blessings toward her, and she doesn’t hesitate to give Him credit. Fox is also well known for her role as police officer Luann Corbin in the popular TV series, “In the Heat of the Night.” I recently had the pleasure of chatting with Ms. Fox about Hanna, her personal faith and future endeavors.

How did you land the role on Tyler Perry’s “The Haves and Have Nots”?
Crystal: I auditioned for it and months went by and I didn’t hear anything so I made my way to Oregon to work for a year at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and I was headed up that way, I get a call from the casting person with a call back for “The Haves and the Have Nots” and it was insane. They ended up flying me back to L.A to audition with all these other people where I felt so inadequate because my clothes were being shipped to Oregon and I wasn’t prepared. All I could hear God say is, “You are enough. You are enough.” And I went into that audition so confident because I knew from reading the breakdown, who Hannah was and I wanted it so badly. The fact that Mr. Perry made me feel like I was who he was looking for at the same time, it’s been one of the best experiences of my acting career.
Crystal Fox as Officer Luann Corbin
in the TV series The Heat of the Night

What are your thoughts on the success of THAHN?
Crystal: We had no idea it would take off like this. We didn’t know it would be this successful or this well received. I am so honored, overwhelmed and ecstatic about the whole thing.

Are there any similarities between the character of Hanna on THAHN and Crystal Fox?
Crystal: Oh my goodness. Crystal Fox is wild and silly and crazy. I think most people would be so surprised because I’m so intense on this show sometimes. As far as relying on my faith, that’s absolutely true. I wish I could say I’m as (holy) as Hannah is but I’ve known people like that. I feel like most of us have either been raised by or touched by someone like that. We have that one person who prayed for us and we’re here as a result of that person and that’s who I draw from to play this character. I’ve known these women and I hope to honor them that way. But I think we’re a lot alike in leaning on our faith a hundred percent and sometimes I think she’s a lot stronger than me.

Crystal Fox as Hanna Young in Tyler
Perry's The Haves and Have Nots 
How much autonomy or adlib do you have with your character? How much is Tyler Perry and how much is you adlibing?
Crystal: It’s 90 something percent Mr. P. I’m a theatre actor so I’m used to learning the lines verbatim and you feel you have to put the life in those words, you don’t mean to disrespect the writer. I want you to bring everything and anything you have to put into this character that you believe needs to be brought to life.” So with that helped how I felt about Hannah. I try to honor what he wrote but if I feel something I don’t ever try to change his words. For example, there was a scene where I had to go into this chapel for “Bennie” and something he wrote kept touching my heart about a sacrifice of praise.

What’s one thing about Crystal Fox that people don’t know that you want them to know?
Crystal: One is how silly I am. I think they think I’m going to be so deep but I’m not, not in person. My love for cooking seems to surprise people but I love to cook. And I’m not crying all the time.

Crystal Fox can be seen on Tyler Perry’s “The Haves and Have Nots”  Tuesday nights at 9 p.m. Eastern on the OWN network. Follow her on twitter @Only1CrystalFox



Share on Google Plus

About Airplay 360

AIRPLAY 360 is a monthly published digital magazine designed to inform, empower and motivate independent inspirational musical artists by offering a soundboard of information provided by artists, producers, label executives and other industry professionals.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment